Dec 24, 2008

What Being a Christian Means to Me this Christmas

I'm not what you would call an overt Christian. I don't believe in foisting ones religious views on others and I don't blame people for a lack of faith in Christianity. I especially don't try and push my beliefs on people of entirely different faiths. If you believe in God, that's good enough. If you don't, well I guess that is good enough too but I'll pray for you. ;-)

The Christian faith isn't without it's problems too. We Christians haven't always turned the other cheek. I guess it is a bit like being a Democrat or Republican... there are good and bad eggs in every bunch. But I digress. Bottom line, it isn't possible to change someone's mind about politics or religion in one conversation or a hundred for that matter. So this isn't about convincing someone to believe in God or Jesus. It's about sharing something I thought about. And I think it applies to anybody, no matter their faith.

When people talk about the Christianity they say a lot about sin and rules and heaven and hell and how Jesus forgives. Blah, blah, blah... right? Trust me, it gets old for me too. Besides, that isn't what being a Christian is about. Not at all. At least not for me anyway.

It is about many things. For me the most important are; living your life one day at a time, appreciating what you have right now, and loving those around you while they're here. We run around this world looking toward the future and lamenting the past. We obsess about what will come next and wallow in guilt over things that happened years ago.

All the while we never appreciate what we have right now, in the moment.

This year is the first year in my entire life that I have ever been able to do this. I don't know what clicked this year but I believe it has a lot to do with the people around me. The love that surrounds me makes me stop and look. My heart is open. My mind is focused on the moment.

But it's hard to stay focused and I drift in and out. I think that is where faith comes in. It isn't some scripture that says if I do this and don't do that I will be saved. It isn't some karma piggy bank that I can fill up and withdraw from when I need it. It is a pause. It is way for me to look at my life from a different perspective. Jesus is a mirror that reflects the good in this world.

It is my sincere hope, that no matter what your perspective, you find a way to glimpse the wonderful person you are and the amazing world you live in. It is a fleeting view and you may go for days and even years without seeing the light it brings but it is a beautiful one. It doesn't matter whether you believe in God, Buddha, Allah, Science, or just Luck... it's there. You just need to look.

No comments:

TwitterFeed